About the Office on Women’s Health – Download the PDF
Below is a selection of federal resources on opioids to help you further develop your project.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Fact Sheet: Medication Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders: Increasing the Buprenorphine Patient Limit
- Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders
- Opioids: The Prescription Drug & Heroin Overdose Epidemic
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Infographic: Opioid Overuse on the Rise; More Widespread Across U.S.
- Shining a Spotlight on the Opioid Crisis Through the Power of Data
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Common Elements in Guidelines for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- July 2013 Vital Signs: Prescription Painkiller Overdoses
National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Prescription Drug Abuse: Opioids
- Drugs of Abuse: Opioids
- NIDAMED: Medical & Health Professionals
- Substance Use in Women
- Review Article Outlines Strategies To Reduce Opioid Abuse Risk
- Drug Facts: Substance Use in Women
HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation
- ASPE Issue Brief: Opioid Abuse in the U.S. and HHS Actions to Address Opioid-Drug Related Overdoses and Deaths
HHS Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy
- 2014 National Drug Control Strategy
- Women, Girls, Families, and Substance Abuse
- Substance Abuse and Maternal and Child Health
- Women and Treatment
- Women Research and Resources
- Office of the National Drug Control Policy at the White House
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Addiction in Opioid Treatment Programs: A Treatment Improvement Protocol. (TIP 43)
- Quick Guide for Clinicians Based on TIP 43: Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Addiction in Opioid Treatment Programs.
- Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Buprenorphine in the Treatment of Opioid Addiction: A Treatment Improvement Protocol. (TIP 40)
- Quick Guide for Clinicians Based on TIP 40: Clinical Guidelines for the Use of Buprenorphine in the Treatment of Opioid Addiction.
- Clinical Use of Extended-Release Injectable Naltrexone in the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: A Brief Guide.
- Substance Abuse Treatment: Addressing the Specific Needs of Women: A Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP 51).
- A Treatment Improvement Protocol: Managing Chronic Pain in Adults with or in Recovery from Substance Use Disorders (TIP 54).
- Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Addiction. Fast Facts for Families and Friends.
- Methadone Treatment for Pregnant Women
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs: Opioids
U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Opioid Medications
- General Principles for Evaluating the Abuse Deterrence of Generic Solid Opioid Drug Products. (Draft Guidance).
- Fact Sheet – FDA Opioids Action Plan
- A Proactive Response to Prescription Opioid Abuse
- The Effectiveness and Risks of Long Term Opioid Treatment of Chronic Pain
- An HCUP Statistical Brief on Hospital Inpatient Utilization Related to Opioid Overuse Among Adults, 1993-2012
- Medication-Assisted Treatment Models of Care for Opioid Use Disorder in Primary Care Settings
- UN Women Policy Brief: A Gender Perspective on the Impact of Drug Use, the Drug Trade, and Drug Control Regimes