The Coalition for Healthy Communities announced the winners of the sixth annual "Be Smart About Medicine" Creative Expression Contest at a special awards dinner held on April 13, 2016 at the Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Clinical Academic Building.
To help promote awareness about prescription and over-the-counter drug abuse among middle school students and encourage them to "Be Smart" about prescription and over-the-counter drugs, the Coalition for Healthy Communities invited students in grades six through eight from across Middlesex County to submit an entry to the sixth annual "Be Smart About Medicine" Creative Expression Contest.
Prizes were awarded for first, second, and third place winners in each grade (6-8), with a $100 gift card presented to the first place winner, $50 card for second place, and $25 for third place. Winners included:
- 1st place – Heidi So Hammerskjold Middle School
- 2nd place – Melani Arias of Lincoln Middle School
- 3rd place – Kavya Kadavaderi of Hammerskjold Middle School
- 1st place – Minal Patel of Sayreville Middle School
- 2nd place – Ami Modha of Woodrow Wilson Middle School
- 3rd place – Nicole Rosas Bendrell of Perth Amboy Catholic School
- 1st place – Jane Anderson-Schmitt of Wardlaw Hartridge School
- 2nd place – Arianna Aviles of Carteret Middle School
- 3rd place – Araly Langomas of Carteret Middle School
This year's contest judges included: Rachelle Burk, Children's Author & Entertainer; Paul Grzella, General Manager/Editor, Courier News/Home News Tribune/MyCentralJersey.com; and Ezra Helfand, Executive Director & CEO at Wellspring Center for Prevention.
For more information on this event and the Coalition for Healthy Communities, please contact Linda Surks at 732-254-3344.