MAY
23
0

Addiction News & Policy Update for Week Ending May 24, 2019

Spring-1
Prescription Opioid Use Plummeted Most on Record Last YearThe volume of opioids prescribed in the U.S. fell 17% last year, the most in more than a quarter-century, as doctors have become increasingly cautious about giving out large amounts of the drugs amid an epidemic of abuse.. Click for moreMore Than 600,000 Opioid Abusers Raising Kids in U.S.Th...
Continue reading
0
  582 Hits
582 Hits
APR
07
0

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month

sarah-diniz-outeiro-411484-unsplash-1
By: Gina-Marie MiragliaApril is a month that represents many observances, but above all is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. According the American Psychological Association; approximately 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abuse before turning 18 years old. However, these ratios are highly deceiving. Only about 16% of sexual assault crimes are reported to authorities; meaning the remaining 84% go undocumented.Sexual assault and drug addiction are innately connected. Those who have been sexually assaulted are at a higher risk of misusing or abusing drugs and alcohol than the general public. When the negative emotions associated with the trauma are not constructively worked through, drugs and alcohol are commonly used as means to cope with feelings of depression, self-blame, and flashbacks. According to the Rape Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN); victims of assault or abuse are 3.4 times more likely to use marijuana, 6 times more likely to...
Continue reading
1
  566 Hits
566 Hits

Subscribe to Our Blogs